The Family

The Family

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Calling All Pumpkin Lovers!

So, I was reminded by Mike that I was totally slacking in my pumpkin bread making tradition--one that I don't really remember. Anyway, what he didn't know is that the Pumpkin Bread I had been making in years past came from a box on the shelf of my favorite Trader Joe's. Unfortunately, TJ's hasn't had their pumpkin bread mix on the shelf yet this year, so I decided yesterday to try a recipe from scratch. It was probably (aside from Great Harvest, but totally comparable) the best pumpkin bread I have ever had. In the words of my friends at Yo Gabba Gabba!: try it, you'll like it.

15 oz. Pumpkin Puree
4 eggs
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2/3 cup water
2 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
2 tsp pumpkin spice

(I add more cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg than that, but I like the spice)

Directions:

Pre-Heat oven to 350.
Grease 3 small loaf pans (about 7 by 2 inches).
In large bowl combine wet ingredients.
In another bowl combine dry ingredients.
Add dry ingredients to wet 1/3 at a time.
Divide evenly between the 3 loaf pans.
Bake for about 50 minutes (maybe slightly longer with an electric oven, just make sure you check with a toothpick).

Believe me, it is SO good and makes the house smell like pumpkin heaven.

No comments: